California RBS TIPS Certification Online
Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) training is mandatory in the state of California as of July 1st for anyone who serves alcohol by the drink. Managers and ID checkers are also required to take the training. All new employees must successfully complete an approved course (TIPS On Premise is) and pass the official ABC exam.
All existing servers of alcohol MUST complete an RBS-approved course and register with the State by 08/31/2022. The TIPS Certification Course is RBS approved. If you took an Alcohol Course that was not RBS-approved you WILL NOT comply with the new law. You WILL have to take the new RBS course even is your previous certification is not expired.
All on-premise alcohol servers in the state of California MUST register with the Alcoholic Beverage Control by visiting https://abcbiz.abc.ca.gov and registering for an account.
Look for the orange Register button on the top right of the State's ABC page to begin your registration. The State will charge you $3.00 which you must pay.
Once you have registered for an account you will be issued a 9 digit RBS Server number. You will need that number when signing up for the training course below. Please be sure to enter your information exactly the same with both the State RBS Portal and the TIPS website. If the two are not identical the state website will not recognize your completion of the course.
If you work at a special event location or in a casino you MUST take the On Premise course below to comply with the California ABC RBS program.
Liquor stores who sell unopened alcohol are not required to register under this rule and may take the Off Premise course below without registering with the California ABC RBS Portal.If you are looking to train your staff, please visit our Group Training page!
Follow These Easy Steps to Get RBS Certified
- The first step is to go to the Alcoholic Beverage Control and register at https://abcbiz.abc.ca.gov and receive your server ID number. You will be required by the State to pay a $3.00 fee. You must have your California RBS Server ID prior to signing up for our course! Be sure your contact information is identical on both sites. If the information is NOT identical the RBS Portal will NOT recognize your completion of training and allow access to their exam.
- The second step is to enroll in our class by clicking on the red "Buy Now CA TIPS On Premise " button above, enter your information including your RBS Server ID and pay for the course.
- Complete and pass the TIPS alcohol certification course online at your own pace. You have 30 days to complete the course
- If you fail the final exam you have one additional attempt to pass at no charge.
- Once you complete the TIPS course, our system reports your completion to the California RBS Program within one day.
- The third step is to return to your account at the California ABC RBS Portal and take the State test. Once you pass the State test you are officially RBS Certified and in compliance with the new law.
California Alcohol Laws
This information has been provided to us by the regulating agency and is believed to be correct. However, laws and regulations may change at any time, and the information provided should not be relied upon in place of official documents or legal advice. For more information or clarification, consult the regulatory body for this jurisdiction directly.
|Age to Consume||21|
|Age to Pour||21|
|Age to Sell||18 until 10:00PM. Employees on duty between the hours of 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. who sell beer or wine for off premise consumption shall be at least 21 years of age to sell beer and wine.|
|Age to Serve||21 Effective 01/01/2009 with some exceptions|
|DUI/DWI Limit||.08 - .04 for CDL|
|Server Training Required by State||Yes as of July 1st 2022. All existing servers must pass the RBS course by 8/31/22.|
Acceptable Forms of ID - California
- A valid driver's license issued by federal, state, county, or municipal government.
- A valid passport.
- A valid passport card.
- An identification card issued by the Armed Forces of the United States that contains the name, date of birth, description, and picture of the person
Training Students from these California cities and more:
The hospitality industry in California employs over 2 million servers of alcohol according to recent statements from the ABC. To date, only about 40,000 have been certified in the new RBS program. The remainder will need to be certified prior to 8/31/2022.
California has always been a tourist destination. With a coastline of over 1,250 miles, resorts are plentiful and good-tipping jobs abound. If you plan on taking advantage of one of these fun, interesting (sometimes difficult) and profitable jobs you will need your California RBS Certification prior to starting work after 8/31.
Join our students from these great cities and more:
|Irvine||Long Beach||Los Angeles (LA)||Modesto|
|Sacramento||San Bernadino||San Diego||San Francisco|
|San Jose||Santa Ana||Santa Clarita||Santa Rosa|
Mandatory RBS Certification for all servers of alcohol in California.
California deadline is 8/31/2022!