Header Bg

Utah TIPS Alcohol Certification - Utah Approved Training

Every individual who sells or furnishes alcoholic beverages to the public in Utah, must complete an Alcoholic Beverage Server Training and Education Seminar if that person is furnishing the alcohol for consumption on the business premises.

Anyone who serves alcohol in the State of Utah should take this training and receive their certificaion. By Utah law, servers of alcohol must complete the training within 30 days of commencing employment.

Who Should Take The Utah Alcoholic Beverage Server Training Course?

  • Bartenders
  • Bar Backs
  • Servers
  • Managers

Choose Your Online TIPS Course Below:

Please Be Sure to Click on the Correct Course For Your Establishment!

What this means to you as a liquor-serving employee is that you not only receive protection in the event of an alcohol-involved incident, but you will become more hirable by these quality companies since you will already be certified by a program that is approved through the Utah Department of Human Services program.

TIPS (T.I.P.S. - Training and Intervention Procedures for Servers of alcohol) Certification - If you've been told you must have your TIPS card or Utah Alcohol Beverage Server Certification to be hired at a liquor serving establishment, this is the training and card required. TIPS is a Utah Department of Human Services approved training program.

PDF See the official Utah list of approved Beverage Server Training providers by clicking on the image to the right

TIPS Alcohol Training Online is accepted statewide for use in Utah. Now Only $40.00! Sign up for the TIPS Utah Beverage Server Certification course by clicking on the appropriate course button above.

Utah Alcohol Laws

Visit the Utah Department of Human Services - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Website by clicking on their logo below:


Last update: 02/22/2008

Age to Consume 21
Age to Pour 21
Age to Sell 21 unsupervised. Persons 16 or older can sell beer in an off-premise licensed establishment as long as they are directly supervised by someone 21 years or older who has also been trained.
Notes on Selling/Serving A person may not sell, offer to sell, or otherwise furnish any alcoholic beverage to any minor or to any person who is actually or apparently intoxicated, or to any know interdicted person.

A person is guilty of intoxication if the person is (a) significantly impaired as to the person's mental or physical functions as a result of the use of an alcoholic beverage, a controlled substance, a substance having the property of releasing toxic vapors, or a combination of these, and (b) exhibits plain and easily observed outward manifestations of behavior or physical signs produced by the over consumption of an alcoholic beverage.

It is unlawful for a minor to gain or attempt to gain admittance to the premises of tavern or Class D private club (except as allowed by law). A minor who violates this law is guilty of a Class C midemeanor. If the violation is the minor's first violation of this law the court may suspend the minor's driving privileges. If the violation is the minor's second or third violation of this law the court shall suspend the minor's driving privileges.
DUI/DWI Limit .08
DUI/DWI Under Age 21 .00
Maximum Alcohol per Drink 1.5 oz. of primary liquor per drink. Beer may be sold to an individual patron only in a container that does not exceed 1 liter. Beer may be sold by the pitcher (up to 2 liters) to two or more patrons. A drink may not contain more than 2.50 ounces of liquor (including secondary flavorings).
Number of Drinks at One Time A patron may have two drinks in front of him/her at a time as follows: In full service restaurants and at licensed on-premise banquets, only one can be a spirituous beverage;

In a club and in an airport lounge the law allows two spirituous drinks in front of a patron, but not of the same liquor dispensed as a shot-on-the-side. However, the two drinks can not contain a total of more than 2.5 ounces of spirituous liquor at a time before the patron.

At events held under a single event permit, a patron may have only one alcoholic beverages of any kind before him/her at a time.
Dram Shop Liability Laws Yes. Effective January 1, 2010, alcohol licensees must have a minimum of $1,000,000 per occurrence, and $2,000,000 in the aggregate.
Social Host Liability Laws Yes
Server Training Required by State Yes. eTIPS is approved.
Server Training Notes Utah requires server training for all who sell or furnish alcoholic beverages for consumption on premises. Employees, including managers and supervisors, are required to be server trained within thirty (30) days of hire. Currently, the state has approved training programs to be provided by private entities. Trainers are required to register each server who successfully completes their course with the state. eTIPS is an approved provider.
Corkage/Merlot Laws A customer may bring, subject to the discretion of the licensee, bottled wine onto the premises of any full service restaurant, limited service restaurant, or private club licensee for on-premise consumption.

If bottled wine is carried in by a customer, the customer must deliver the wine to a server or other representative of the licensee upon entering. A wine service may be performed and a service charge assessed.

A patron may remove the unconsumed contents of a bottle of wine if the bottle has been recorked or recapped.
ID Confiscation Allowed Yes, for the purposes of informing a peace officer of a suspected violation.
Recommended age for carding Social clubs and restaurants must verify age using an electronic verification device before anyone who appears to be 35 years of age or younger may gain admission to a social club, or obtain an alcoholic beverage in a restaurant. A recommended age for carding is not addresses for other license types.

Acceptable Forms of ID - Utah

  • Valid Driver's License (see note below)
  • Valid State ID
  • Valid Military ID with Picture
  • Valid Passport or US Passport Card

Note: A "Driving Privilege Card" is NOT acceptable proof of age for the purchase/service of alcoholic beverages.

Alien ID cards are NOT accepted as proof of identity for the purchase of alcoholic beverages. Identification is only required to be on someone's person if age is in question by server/retailer.